Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 70 mins
|Crayfish Bisque:||Crayfish broth:||Crayfish:||To Plate:|
1. Crayfish broth
- Deshell the crayfish and set aside the flesh. Divide the shells in 2 sections - heads and tails. Cut each section lengthwise.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat; add crayfish, shrimp heads and shells, stir frequently for about 5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Finely dice the prawns and remaining salmon fillet. Combine with water chestnuts and chill for 20 minutes.
2. Crayfish Bisque
- Chop carrot and celery with the SilentMixx mini chopper attachment until fine. Set aside. Repeat with onion and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped carrot, celery and onion, fry till soft for about 20 minutes.
- Add white wine and the crayfish broth prepared earlier with the remaining bay leaf, saffron, dill, thyme, rice, tomato paste and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer uncovered until flavours meld and rice is soft for about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove crayfish shells, dill, thyme, and bay leaf, but leave the prawn heads and shells in the broth.
- Working in batches, purée bisque in SilentMixx blender jug until smooth.
- Sieve purée over a clean pot.
- Stir in cream and reheat bisque over medium heat.
- Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt, pepper, and more cayenne, if desired.
- Season crayfish meat with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a large heavy-bottom skillet until very hot, add a tbsp of butter and olive oil.
- Sear the crayfish for about 1–1½ minutes until opaque; they should feel slightly springy when pressed.