Molten Lava Chocolate Cakes
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer. Melt chocolate and unsalted butter in a heatproof bowl by setting the bowl over the saucepan; make sure to use a bowl bigger than the saucepan. Stir the mixture to ensure all the chocolate is melted and the mixture becomes smooth. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
3. Generously grease the bottom and sides of four 180ml (6 oz) size ramekins with some butter; set aside.
4. Whisk the eggs to break them up before whisking in the sugar and vanilla extra. Once the mixture is ready, it should leave a ribbon-like trail when you remove the whisk.
5. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture until it’s thoroughly blended.
6. Sieve the flour into the mixing bowl. Fold in the flour with a spatula. Do not over mix. Pour batter into the prepared ramekins to about half full.
7. Place ramekins on a baking tray and bake in middle rack for 10 minutes. Do not over bake. The cakes are deliberately under baked. The cake is ready when the edges is set (gently touch the edges, it should feel soft but won’t stick to your finger) while the middle still looks a little wet.
8. Remove from oven immediately and leave to cool for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the cakes in the ramekins or alternatively, run a small knife around cakes to loosen. Carefully invert warm cakes onto individual serving plates and carefully lift ramekin off the cakes. Dust the top with icing sugar and serve warm either with ice cream, whipping cream or berries.
9. The batter can be prepared several hours ahead of time. Leave batter in the prepared ramekins, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate. When ready to serve, bring to room temperature while preheating the oven. Bake at 200°C for 10 to 11 minutes.