Chocolate & Orange Cointreau Butter Cake
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
1. Preparation - Heat the oven to 180°C. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Sift together the flour and salt; set aside.
2. Orange batter - the butter into a mixing bowl until creamy. Add 100g of sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time until well mixed. Add in the orange juice, orange liqueur and orange zest until combined. Add in sifted flour gradually until just combined.
3. Egg whites – In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Increase the speed and gradually add 50g of sugar. Continue to beat the whites until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat. Fold in the egg white into the orange batter until well blended.
4. Cocoa Batter - Pour half of the orange batter into a bowl. Add cocoa and fold very gently.
5. Assemble and Bake - Pour the cocoa batter into the prepared cake pan, followed by the orange batter. Bake until a toothpick or a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool the cake on a wire rack and chill for at least 2 hours.
6. Serve - Cut the cake into slices and serve chilled.